Barrow Creek Telegraph Station

Print
Fuel From Tennant Creek, 224kms, Latitude: -21.531, Longitude: 133.8884

Barrow Creek Telegraph StationJohn McDouall Stuart named this site in 1860 after a then member of the South Australian Parliament. It became the chosen site for a repeater station in 1871 and the station as it stands today was officially opened on 16 August 1872 by Charles Todd as part of the morse repeater network. It was one of 15 such repeater stations on a network traversing Australia and linking Australia to Europe, providing essential communication services. This lonely outpost was to get some company by the way of a store and hotel erected in 1932, just in time to take advantage of the migration to Tennant Creek during the gold rush. The pub is open today serving a migration of a different kind. Visitors are welcome to enter these historic buildings by getting a key from the Barrow Creek hotel nearby.

more information





Phone Us

(08) 8962 1281

Google Translate